Knowledge Gateway Seminars / 知識探索講座:
CCA plans to run a series of seminars introducing various subjects to the public.
- Aims: The seminars introduce various subjects to the public.
- It aims to broaden the audience's general knowledge;
- It aims to help parents and students to choose their subjects at university.
- Media: Unless otherwise specified, all seminars will be conducted in English
- Place: CCA Premise, Units 1-3 Blomefield Place, 25 St Botolphs Street, Colchester CO2 7EA
(adjacent to Britannia Car Park)
- Admittance: No booking is required. All are welcome.
- Admissions free
- Donated to CCA welcome
- Target audience:
- These seminars are aimed at the general public. We welcome anyone who is interested in knowledge.
- No prior knowledge of the subjects is expected.
Two talks on Sunday 18 February 2018:
Professor Huosheng Hu:
From Cloud Computing to Cloud Robotics (从云计算到云机器人)
Sunday 18th February 2018 1:00-1:50pm
Professor Huosheng Hu
School of Computer Science & Electronic Engineering
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, United Kingdom
Cloud computing provides abundant resources and computing power, which in turn enables today’s robots to service us everywhere. Through wired or wireless networks, autonomous robots can access cheap and readily available information in the cloud and receive commands via communication networks for their remote operation. The system reliability should be guaranteed so that robots in the cloud can be accessed by their users 24 hours a day with minimum maintenance. This talk briefly overviews the key challenges and opportunities of cloud robotic systems in real-world applications. In particular, the recent development of tele-rehabilitation, tele-healthcare, remote surveillance at Essex is introduced, and some preliminary results are demonstrated via video.
Sunday 18th February 2018 2:00-2:50pm
- What is the "correct value" of your house? or your car?
- Which of the following views do you take? Or have you thought about the following conflicting views?
- Different people value assets differently. How could accounting be possible?
- Accounting is just recording the values of assets, right? How difficult could it be?
- What is auditing? Is it part of accounting?
- Accounting as a university subject:
- Who should choose accounting at university?
- Where to study accounting?
- What are the career paths after graduation?
More planned topics:
- Big Data
- Natural Language Processing in AI
- Computational Finance
Two talks on Sunday 11 February 2018:
Dr Edward Tsang:
Artificial intelligence, threat or opportunities?
(Emeritus Professor, University of Essex)
Sunday 11th February 2018 1:00-1:50pm
- What is artificial intelligence?
- Is artificial intelligence a threat?
- Is Artificial intelligence going to take away our jobs?
- Should we worry about machines that have their own mind?
- What opportunities does artificial intelligence offer?
- Artificial intelligence as a university subject
- Where to study artificial intelligence?
- What kind of jobs does artificial intelligence offer?
Sunday 11th February 2018 2:00-2:50pm
- What are "translation" and "interpretation"?
- What is required of a translator/interpreter?
- "I know both Chinese and English, so I can translate, right?"
- "... and I can translate both from Chinese to English and from English to Chinese, right?"
- What is so special/exciting about the subjects?
- Translation/interpretation as a university subject:
- Why study translation and interpretation?
- Where to study translation and interpretation?
- What do graduates do?
History at University of Cambridge
(MA History, Cambridge)
Sunday 29th October 2017 3:15 to 3:45pm
(Apologies for the short notice. We would like to take advantage of Jimmy's limited availability before he shoots off to an overseas internship.)
- What is taught in a history degree? (Is history a matter of memorizing facts?)
- Why is history an interesting subject?
- Why is it valuable to study history?
- What do history graduates do?
- How to prepare yourself if you want to study history?
This site is maintained by Edward Tsang; page created: 2018.02.17; last updated 2017.10.25